vrijdag 28 maart 2014

Day 24 - pancake day

It's been a very busy week. Working two evenings, musical rehearsal and a meeting has filled every night, with more work, groceryshopping, seeing the doctor and a singing lesson filling the rest. That doesn't mean there was no cooking though. I made some lovely stuffed mushrooms and peppers on Monday, husband made pasta on Wednesday, leftovers on Tuesday and Thursday and today we had pancakes. It's national pancake day here, so instead if eating the last pasta (now relegated to the freezer) I decided on pancakes.

Most people can be divided into one of two groups: the sweet pancakers or the savoury pancakers. I'm in the last category, give me a cheese and ham one any day. Husband just throws syrup on everything, so he's firmly sweet (he really is ;) ). Not today though, at least not on the ones filled with today's special: chestnut mushroom, bacon, goat cheese filling. Seriously delicious!

All it is is 250g of mushrooms, 100g of bacon, two cloves of garlic and a packet of "spreadable goats cheese" a new product in our supermarket. The bacon takes care of the salt and the cheese contained herbs, so no further seaoning necessary.  Except for using butter. I looooooove butter. My fridge usually has at least a pound in there, and it gives such a great flavour I've seriously reduced my oil usage. Mind, I don't use as much butter as I did oil, so it seems a pretty good decision.  In this case, frying the mushrooms in butter just makes them soft and lush. And the melted cheese turns into a tangy sauce binding it all together.

I think we might be eating some more pancakes pretty soon...

Now I have to go turn my oven on, as it's cake time again. Sister's birthday party on Sunday, so a dense chocolate cake filled with raspberry and topped with extra dark chocolate ganache is in order. Yum!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten