zondag 23 maart 2014

Day 19 - bake-weekend

These past few weeks have been pretty easy in that I am not feeling like I am missing out by eating less meat and more fresh homemade food. This weekend was less about eating healthy and more about the homemade part.

Saturday saw us at a 40th birthday party where the men brought something savoury and the ladies something sweet. So I got to make something of both. I decided on goat cheese parcels and Mary Berry's whole lemon cake.

I love Mary Berry, I wish she was my aunt or something. She has a programme on now called Mary Berry cooks, and in the "afternoon tea" episode she made a four layer lemon cake made with three whole lemons. Just the sound of it made my mouth water, so I made it. And it was divine. Lemony without getting bitter, very refreshing!

The parcels were dead simple, just mix soft goats cheese with honey, thyme and roasted pine nuts and put spoonfuls in (in this case readymade, sorry) puff pastry. Fold the filling in and crimo the sides shut, brush with egg and put a few pinenuts on top. Because Mary says the outside should reflect what is inside.  20 minutes in the oven, done.

Sunday wad the baptism of my husbands great nephew. His mother asked me to make a fondant cake based on the invitation, and I filled it with strawberries and whipped ceeam. That is just so summery to me, and most people like it. I normally prefer chocolate, but with some kids coming and no idea about nut allergies, strawberries were the safer choice. And thew were lovely :)
I finally have a picture to add! The picture was printed on icing sheet, which tastes pretty weird, but loiks awesome. Armins baby blues just pop!

Next week I'll be baking again, and then it's going to be a rich luscious chocolate-raspberry cake for my sisters birthday :)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten